Your website is the core of your online marketing and it should support your other marketing efforts. If you can't answer "yes" to all these questions, it's probably time for a website revamp.
Is your website:
- Pleasant and easy to use?
For the VIEWER. Is it easily readable, simple to navigate, soothing to the eyes and not full of flashy distractions or very bright colors? Make it easy for people to focus on what's important, your work.
- Organized so people can get to the info they want, fast?
Take the time to work out a structure for your site that will make it easy for people to find what they need. Once people get mired in a maze of click here and click there, you'll lose them waaaayyy before they take out their wallet or contact you.
- Set up so that viewers want to move forward and buy or inquire?
Your website should help move the viewer through the info and to the point where they contact you, ask to be added to your mailing list, or buy something.
There's a lot that can be built into your site to make it friendly to search engines. Meta tags, page names, well written and relevant content, links, and more. If you rely on selling online, the help of a competent SEO expert is invaluable.
- Updated regularly to keep it fresh?
A stale and outdated website and content makes you look unprofessional or even out of business. Keep it updated. Plus, the search engines will like you better for it.
- Working with your social media and other marketing efforts?
Are your other marketing efforts being used to drive people to your website? Social media sites, business cards, brochures, postcards, presentations, posters, everything should have your website url on it along with your contact info.
- Easy for people to contact you?
As in, they have multiple ways to contact you and can find that info on every page without heading over to the "Contact" page.
- Making your work, artwork, products/services look stellar?
Images on your site should look great and be appropriately sized (meaning small file size) for a website so the page loads quickly and so thieves (who will try to grab your images) can't do much with what they steal. If you can't take professional quality photos, pay a pro to do it. Your art business is worth it.
- Easy and fast to update?
Websites are like pets and kids. You think they're expensive to get, and then you find out what it costs to KEEP them. Make sure yours is designed to be updated by you or your webmaster quickly and easily.
- Making you look professional?
Again, it's about the VIEWER and what they want to see and how they want to see it. Pretend you are a potential collector with only basic computer skills and view your website from their perspective. Check your website stats to find out which pages attract and hold people there.
Didn't answer "yes" to all ten items above? Not sure? Stay tuned for future tips that will cover website topics including:
- How to decide, custom website or template system and which is best for you
- How to work with a web designer
- Info that should be on every page of your website
- DIY and why that may be a good or bad idea
- Blogs, what they are and why you might want to have one (or use yours more often)
- How often you should update your website
- How social media and your website help each other
- SEO, what is it and why you need it
- Preparing images for your website; protecting your content from theft
- Artist Q&A on websites
- Much more. Start here, and stay tuned!
All my best to you and yours,
Got a question about your website or considering getting a new one? We have website packages that start at $600 for a custom brochure website that you can update yourself or have us update very cost-effectively. Request a free 15-minute conversation.
If you're like me and love to have great resources around, I suggest you get on the email list for Aletta de Wal's new book "My Real Job Is Being An Artist: What You Should Know Before You Quit Your Day Job (Or Get One)." It will help you get really clear about where you are and what YOUR most effective next steps are. Email me to get on the notification list, and get special goodies too!