Tech Tools for Non-Geek Artists: Getting the Word Out
Whether you are an expert computer user, or still a beginner, our new "Tech Tools for Non-Geek Artists" is for you. Each tip will focus on beginning, intermediate, and advanced ways to make use of the info.
No matter where you are in your art career, part of marketing your art will involve building a mailing list and sending emails to share your life as an artist.
Beginning Email Broadcasting:
When artists are just starting out and have only a few email addresses, most will use their regular email to send announcements. That's OK if you are careful and have less than 25 email addresses to send to. But please, do it ethically and safely:
- Never use the "To" or "CC" field in your emails to list multiple email addresses. Use the "BCC" field so all the email addresses will be hidden, and the people on your list won't get angry because you've published their email address for every spammer on the planet to steal.
- Be aware that the company who provides your email service will likely not appreciate your using your personal email for business. If you get over 25 email addresses or send email more than once a week, use an email broadcasting system (see below).
- A while ago Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts were compromised and emails were sent with a link to a virus. You will need to be vigilant, keep an eye on your email account, and use a long alpha-numeric password that you change frequently.
- Make sure you have your name and contact info at the end of the email.
- If someone sends you an reply and wants to unsubscribe, make sure you remove their email address from your list promptly.
Intermediate Email Broadcasting:
As your mailing list grows, you will want to move to an email broadcasting service to send your email announcements. You will look much more professional and it's actually easier to manage your email list this way.
- Use a reputable/reliable service like Constant Contact or MailChimp.
- They have dozens of pre-designed templates, choose one and just drop in your content.
- Easily add images and links to your products and services.
- Add your email addresses either as a list, typing them in as you get permission to use them, or by uploading a spreadsheet.
- View statistics to track your results and see how many people are receiving and opening your emails.
- Manage bounces and bad email addresses.
- Costs are minimal, from $0 and up depending on the service and how many email addresses you have.
Advanced Email Broadcasting:
Welcome to my world! If you have advanced computer and internet skills, you can completely customize your emails, integrate your database in a variety of way to enhance the viewer's experience, save yourself time and money, and use detailed statistics to help you shape your marketing strategies. Available features vary by company, but generally you will be able to:
- Adapt one of their pre-designed templates with your own logo, fonts, design elements, and colors, or, create your own from scratch using a drag/drop-type interface or html.
- Customize signup forms and response emails, set up autoresponders, and embed a signup form on your website.
- Import and export your database files from/to various software applications.
- Segment your list by interest or other criteria to target your messages.
- Use merge tags to customize your content.
- Add social media icons and links and integrate your social media to offer coupons, run a sweepstake, sell with e-Commerce, share a video, and offer exclusive content.
- Add an archive of your emails to your website so your content is available to those viewers as well.
- View statistics to analyze popular content, track links, and understand what content is engaging your viewers.
- Some email broadcasting companies have very advanced features including apps to integrate with your email, apps to create and send emails from your iPhone or iPod Touch, and the ability to automatically pull your blog posts into your emails.
I'm here to help. If you have questions or want to explore how I can help you get all this done, sign up for a complimentary 15-minute conversation and I'll get back to you to schedule a day/time.
All my best to you and yours,